Wednesday, October 15, 2008

October 7 Rome to Paestum

Leaving Rome as soon as we woke up this morning was a good decision. We drove out of Camping Roma at 7 am and headed for the autostrada. There was a lot of traffic but it was not backed up and I was able to cruise along at a good pace. Driving along, I noticed the distinct change in the vegetation. Outside of Rome we saw mountains and passed through an area that had signs indicating that it was a ski resort. The trees looked like an evergreen forest. Just a little further along, after driving through several tunnels to get back down closer to sea level, the vegetation seemed to be more tropical. In fact, I noticed palm trees.

Having decided to stay away from anything touristy for a couple of days, we avoided Naples, ignored the bus loads heading for Pompeii and took the road less traveled to the coast. I got so excited when I saw salt water that I got Michelle to take pictures from the van. We drove along the coast and ended up in Paestum. There is an interesting archaeological site here (this area was once a Greek colony and dates back to the 6th century BC)

The best part about this place is that we are on the beach. In fact, I can see the Gulfo di Salerno as I sit here and type. Not long after I parked Gracie, we headed for the beach. The water is warm, the sand is soft and there are only a few people here. The campsite provides beach chairs and umbrellas and so we were set for the afternoon. From the beach I can see the famed Amalfi Coast and the Isle of Capri. I enjoyed watching some boats cruising on the Tyrrhenian Sea.

It feels good to be tired from sitting in the sun. This evening we walked through the village and discovered that most things are closed except for the local gelateria. Michelle tried nutmeg flavour and I had lime. We saw lime trees as we were walking down the lane. As we walked back towards the campsite we walked by a man who was sorting chili peppers to hang to dry and he offered me a bunch. In my best Italian I said, "grazie" and in perfect English he replied, "my pleasure."

We will stay here for another day and spend it on the beach.

No comments: